Sunday, August 10, 2008

Chicago Art Institute




New Renzo Piano addition to open in Spring 2009.








These two, Pollock and deKooning are amazing together.







Early Modern O'Keffee, Dove Hartley, later Davis.

Seem to be coming back into their own.






So many things earlier pointing to Abstract Expressionism. The earlier blog on Ryder and Blakelock.



Twatchman, has a painting at the NY Met one of my lifelong favorites of some reeds just always very contemporary looking to me.



These two in Chicago are also forward looking.





These Whistler paintings were part of whatever was going on visually in between main critical discourse.








This Bellows has Wayne Thiebaud in it which is interesting as I always thought Bellows figure drawing was strong in Diebenkorn and Bischoff.





Sanford Gifford Hudson River School







This Van Gogh, just as an aside was to be the 'Madonna' of a secular altar piece of a 'house wife' between sunflowers. It has gotten separated from the sunflowers.





Amazing Manet, look how great his hands are. I have other hands from the Louvre, I'll Blog them later.







This El Greco as good as anything in America it seems. Pollock loved it. I've seen drawings of it by him.




And then this great Egyptian plate to add to my collection.


No comments: