Saturday, August 9, 2008

Sheldon Gallery, Joslyn Art Museum, and Des Moines Art Center





These three Galleries have "no photography" policies.

At the University of Nebraska-Lincoln; Sheldon Memorial Art Gallery, I saw some Blakelocks that I have to say amazed me, I had never seen them. I could have displayed some great pictures here. Paint scraped and applied like the" Excavation painting", by de Kooning, I just saw at Chicago Art Institute. I'll try to get some pictures elsewhere.









I've seen alot of earlier American painting lately that points to Abstract Expressionism. Like Ryder, Twatchman...

There is also a great portrait of Lincoln, by Hartley called, "A young worshipper of truth".




Ryder, (Blakelock) and Hartley two of America's best.


Joselyn Art Museum, Omaha NE, has a beautiful new building and I thought I was in for a good time. But immediately they see my camera and just get weird telling me what I can not do!. I was happy to see evidence of Klaus Kertess, the NY curator, but I think he is gone. They look like they were going in a good direction but went back. There are bad developments in a reactionary way. They have alot of Cowboy and Indian art which I love but only if it is good. They have some good Catlin's especially the buffalo on the green ground. And then the Chihuly-- frou-frou decoration.


There are alot of good paintings but my camera at times is my memory.










The Des Moines Art Center as they say is world class. So why "no photography", too?






They have alot of collector support there, strikes me like at Columbus Art Museum in Ohio.

They have a great Frankenthaler good to see she was great at one time.

Good 80's paintings. A big silver grey Kiefer in a beautiful spot.





A terrific new black and white, Dunham, 2001.



New Richard Meier addition I hadn't seen before. I had to rush through as with time change, Central Time it was 4:00.

Wish I had some pictures.

No comments: