Friday, August 17, 2007

Indianapolis Museum of Art



I got interested in posting these things as there is so much out there one doesn't know of, happening all the time.

Indianapolis has a new building which swallowed its old one. It looks a bit like an old Worlds Fair pavillion to me. Then a bit like a government building of this day.



So the architecture is nothing to remark upon.

But then one is thankful somehow for the plain space that is allowed the art.

But first this rather remarkable entry to the Galleries, like the curators don't quite agree with the architecture either and tried to spiff it up. This little Rodin sculpture is there in the middle of the floor.



As one enters the galleries, I felt I was in someones home that really cared about the art a lot of really great juxtapositions.







I had a great time here in the Western Art Galleries, then

the 2nd floor has remarkable ancient chinese pottery --amazing really I think, so very much like is happening in other stages of man's consciousness in other places at other times.



Then what happens-- I was looking so forward to it--

The 3rd floor contemporarary art just fizzles? Nada, nothing there-- bunch of lame installation and video of no interest at all to me, a Turrell with no light, grey and a video of a plane wreck, or I wasn't going to spend the rest of my afternoon to be more disappointed.



It exhausted me and I half forgot how great the other galleries were.

No comments: