Wednesday, August 29, 2007

New NY Metropolitan Museum of Art Greek and Roman Galleries



The Galleries in the morning light of a sunny day are wonderful. The sculpture lends it's elegance to this light.




I'm not sure the architecture is worth description, good that it included lots of light, and on a rainy day in winter one will forget it is new.





The sculpture is wonderful but by now feels provincial, and democraticly parceled around the historical galleries. But I guess nothing is really that good to take the lead or warrant a special setting. One realizes how far the examples are from the spoils that London, Paris, and Rome have in their Museums.



I wonder if the best examples of French Canova and the American sculptor, Powers, compare with these lesser Roman copies.

There is almost no real Greek sculpture in America, most are Roman copies. I have wanted to do some research to find out exactly what there is.







Have these three graces been in storage these last years, I havent know it? There are some wonderful heads I haven't seen or are displayed differently to allow them new profiles.






Are these Frescoes embedded in sheet rock? I don't think either installation is very remarkable. There is some interest in how contemporary it looks without any trim, but Im not sure that is good.







No comments: